I’m two years too late on doing a free for all on Instagram.
A free for all is when you give out for free a set of photos. By free, I mean without copyright using perhaps at most an attribution license.
Here are the steps:
1) Create an image announcing the Free For All. Make sure the age has the hashtag of your event on it.
2) Recruit Ambassadors to promote your free for all using the image you created in step 1. Be sure to give them copy that states where they can find the free images, and that they need to use the hashtag to participate.
3) Be sure the ambassadors have a clear post date, start date & end date for the free for all.
4) Put your free images publicly linked and accessible on Dropbox or a similar service.
5) Announce the free for all along with your ambassadors.
6) During the free for try to give a shout out each day to edits you liked from your collection of free photos.
7) At the end choose a winner and runners up if you want.
I really messed up on recruiting ambassadors for my free for all. If I had gotten 20 ambassadors I would’ve gotten more followers. I had only a handful and so ended up with 134 new followers in a week when I usually only get 10.